A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling that transfers rotary power from a prime mover, such as an internal combustion engine, to a rotating driven load. In an automatic transmission vehicle, the torque converter connects the power source to the load. A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling used to transmit rotary power from a vehicle's engine to the transmission. It is performed by a mechanical clutch in an automatic transmission. Its main function is
to allow the load to be disconnected from the main power supply.
The pump in a torque converter is a type of centrifugal pump. Spinning forces liquid out, much like spinning a washing machine forces water and clothes out of the wash tub. As the liquid moves outward, a vacuum is created that draws more liquid toward the center.
When the torque converter starts to fail, you can feel a tremor and even slip in overdrive. You usually notice your car shaking because it feels like it's vibrating.Your car will vibrate even if you are not driving very fast. The shaking makes the car lag behind and is very noticeable.
By redirecting the fluid flow, the converter multiplies the torque produced by the engine enough to propel a vehicle down the road. Most converters multiply torque by a ratio of at least 2:1, which improves vehicle acceleration significantly.
A torque converter is a good choice for you if you drive and involve a mix of different scenarios, such as requiring you to cycle through it. Gears often
What are the symptoms of a defective torque converter?
6 Signs of a Faulty Torque Converter
- Loss of Acceleration. ...
- Slipping Between Gears. ...
- Vehicle Won't Shift at All. ...
- Transmission is Overheating. ...
- Transmission Fluid Leak. ...
- Bad Transmission Fluid.
What are the main functions of a torque converter?
Its main functions are:
- It transfers the power from the engine to the transmission input shaft.
- It drives the front pump of the transmission.
- It isolates the engine from the load when the vehicle is stationary.
- It multiplies the torque of the engine and transmits it to the transmission.
Here are the four primary components worth looking at in industrial torque converter repair.
- Transmission Fluid.
The torque converter has several advantages some of them include:
- Less noise.
- Less wear on transmission components.
- Smooth clutch engagement.
- Does not need human action for the system to operate.
Contact Us Today